Roof of Wingfoot Lake hangar

Name/Title

Roof of Wingfoot Lake hangar

Entry/Object ID

SHH 2000.151

Description

Print developed from gelatin dry plate glass negative. View of the top of Wingfoot hangar roof. Exhaust fan in center next to small shed on left. Signal light in center, on platform. Platform has chicken wire around it for fencing. Stick with small flag on back right post.

Collection

PERMANENT COLLECTION

Cataloged By

Theresa George

Acquisition

Accession

SHH-Original

Source or Donor

Seiberling Heirs

Acquisition Method

Gift

Made/Created

Artist Information

Artist

Seiberling, Willard Penfield

Role

Photographer

Date made

1917 - 1921

Notes

Medium: glass, silver gelatin

Other Names and Numbers

Other Numbers

Number Type

Negative Number

Other Number

N-1152

Dimensions

Height

8 in

Width

10 in

Condition

Overall Condition

Fair

General Notes

Note

Willard Penfield Seiberling (1892-1981) was an avid and amateur photographer who developed his photographic interest while attending Princeton University. The Dark Room at Stan Hywet Hall was added to the floorplan during the construction for his use. Willard is credited with most of the early images of Stan Hywet. Willard's interest in aeronautics is exemplified by meeting Orville and Wilbur Wright after their first airplane flight at Kitty Hawk. Willard may have been the first passenger aboard the first Goodyear blimp. He also participated in national and international free balloon races in 1921. Willard was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921. Goodyear began its Aeronautics Department in 1910. In 1916, Goodyear purchased land in Suffield around Fritch's Lake. Wingfoot Lake hangar was constructed in 1917. WFL is the oldest airship base in the U.S. The facility was the training site of the first class of Navy airship pilots. From 1917 to 1921, WFL operated as a U.S. Naval Airs Wingfoot Lake Airship Base was built in 1917. Willard Penfield Seiberling was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921.

Created By

admin@catalogit.app

Create Date

July 28, 2021

Updated By

bwelch@stanhywet.org

Update Date

May 16, 2025