Name/Title
Three men pulling on a dirigible gondolaEntry/Object ID
SHH 2001.362Description
Print developed from gelatin dry plate glass negative. Three unidentified men pulling gondola. Only the side of gondola and one tank are visible. From back to front: man with right hand on oblong tank, facing camera, wears dark colored uniform with hat; man wearing billed cap, light colored shirt with sleeves rolled up, stands looking at camera with hands on rope attached to oblong tank, in front of man wearing uniform; man, wearing dark colored business suit, stands looking at camera with right hand on fuel tank. Comet-shaped effect in lower right quadrant of image, possibly debris with shadow or movement streak. Foreground is covered with wood flooring, background is bare ground.Photograph Details
Subject Place
Location
Goodyear Airdock, USA: Ohio, Suffield, Wingfoot LakeCollection
PERMANENT COLLECTIONCataloged By
Steven KreitzAcquisition
Accession
SHH-OriginalSource or Donor
Seiberling HeirsAcquisition Method
GiftMade/Created
Artist Information
Artist
Seiberling, Willard PenfieldRole
PhotographerDate made
1917 - 1921Notes
Medium: glass, silver gelatinOther Names and Numbers
Other Numbers
Number Type
Negative NumberOther Number
N-1718Number Type
Other NumberOther Number
SHH 2001.362RDimensions
Height
3-1/4 inWidth
4-1/4 inGeneral Notes
Note
Willard Penfield Seiberling (1892-1981) was an avid and amateur photographer who developed his photographic interest while attending Princeton University. The Dark Room at Stan Hywet Hall was added to the floorplan during construction for his use. Willard is credited with most of the early images of Stan Hywet. Willard's interest in aeronautics is exemplified by meeting Orville and Wilbur Wright after their first airplane flight at Kitty Hawk. Willard may have been the first passenger aboard the first Goodyear blimp. He also participated in national and international free balloon races in 1921. Willard was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921. Goodyear began its Aeronautics Department in 1910. In 1916, Goodyear purchased land in Suffield around Fritch's Lake. Wingfoot Lake hangar was constructed in 1917. WFL is the oldest airship base in the U.S. The facility was the training site of the first class of Navy airship pilots. From 1917 to 1921, WFL operated as a U.S. Naval Airship.
Wingfoot Lake Airship Base was built in 1917. Willard Penfield Seiberling was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921.Created By
admin@catalogit.appCreate Date
July 28, 2021Updated By
bwelch@stanhywet.orgUpdate Date
May 16, 2025