Dirigible crashing into a field

Name/Title

Dirigible crashing into a field

Entry/Object ID

SHH 2001.419

Description

Print developed from gelatin dry plate glass negative. Dirigible crashing in corn field. Naval men hold cables connected to dirigible and guide it. Other men in suits walk along and observe. Rudder end of dirigible droops to ground. Men stands in first cockpit and man sits in second cockpit of gondola. Wooden slat fence and barns in background. Series of "Smash Ups" prints.

Photograph Details

Subject Place

Location

Goodyear Airdock, USA: Ohio, Suffield, Wingfoot Lake

Collection

PERMANENT COLLECTION

Cataloged By

Theresa George

Acquisition

Accession

SHH-Original

Source or Donor

Seiberling Heirs

Acquisition Method

Gift

Made/Created

Artist Information

Artist

Seiberling, Willard Penfield

Role

Photographer

Date made

1917 - 1921

Notes

Medium: glass, silver gelatin

Other Names and Numbers

Other Numbers

Number Type

Negative Number

Other Number

N-1728

Number Type

Other Number

Other Number

SHH 2001.419R

Dimensions

Height

3-1/4 in

Width

4-1/4 in

Condition

Overall Condition

Poor

General Notes

Note

Willard Penfield Seiberling (1892-1981) was an avid and amateur photographer who developed his photographic interest while attending Princeton University. The Dark Room at Stan Hywet Hall was added to the floorplan during construction for his use. Willard is credited with most of the early images of Stan Hywet. Willard's interest in aeronautics is exemplified by meeting Orville and Wilbur Wright after their first airplane flight at Kitty Hawk. Willard may have been the first passenger aboard the first Goodyear blimp. He also participated in national and international free balloon races in 1921. Willard was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921. Goodyear began its Aeronautics Department in 1910. In 1916, Goodyear purchased land in Suffield around Fritch's Lake. Wingfoot Lake hangar was constructed in 1917. WFL is the oldest airship base in the U.S. The facility was the training site of the first class of Navy airship pilots. From 1917 to 1921, WFL operated as a U.S. Naval Airship. Wingfoot Lake Airship Base was built in 1917. Willard Penfield Seiberling was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921. Working Print ( "R" suffix) and Negative made Oct 2000.

Created By

admin@catalogit.app

Create Date

July 28, 2021

Updated By

bwelch@stanhywet.org

Update Date

May 16, 2025