Name/Title
Five men hold cables attached to observation balloonEntry/Object ID
SHH 2001.428Description
Print developed from gelatin dry plate glass negative. Five men in center hold cables attached to observation balloon. Men wear winter attire. Four wind socks(?) attached to cables rest on or above ground in center of image. Partially inflated balloon at far right. Possibly at Wingfoot Lake in Suffield, Ohio. Building behind men in center with trees in background. Same men as in SHH 2001.429R-.430R. Series of winch and ballooning prints.Photograph Details
Subject Place
Location
Goodyear Airdock, USA: Ohio, Suffield, Wingfoot LakeCollection
PERMANENT COLLECTIONCataloged By
Martina TakacAcquisition
Accession
SHH-OriginalSource or Donor
Seiberling HeirsAcquisition Method
GiftMade/Created
Artist Information
Artist
Seiberling, Willard PenfieldRole
PhotographerDate made
1917 - 1921Notes
Medium: glass, silver gelatinOther Names and Numbers
Other Numbers
Number Type
Negative NumberOther Number
N-1737Number Type
Other NumberOther Number
SHH 2001.428RDimensions
Height
3-1/4 inWidth
4-1/4 inGeneral Notes
Note
Willard Penfield Seiberling (1892-1981) was an avid and amateur photographer who developed his photographic interest while attending Princeton University. The Dark Room at Stan Hywet Hall was added to the floorplan during construction for his use. Willard is credited with most of the early images of Stan Hywet. Willard's interest in aeronautics is exemplified by meeting Orville and Wilbur Wright after their first airplane flight at Kitty Hawk. Willard may have been the first passenger aboard the first Goodyear blimp. He also participated in national and international free balloon races in 1921. Willard was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921. Goodyear began its Aeronautics Department in 1910. In 1916, Goodyear purchased land in Suffield around Fritch's Lake. Wingfoot Lake hangar was constructed in 1917. WFL is the oldest airship base in the U.S. The facility was the training site of the first class of Navy airship pilots. From 1917 to 1921, WFL operated as a U.S. Naval Airship.
Wingfoot Lake Airship Base was built in 1917. Willard Penfield Seiberling was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921.Created By
admin@catalogit.appCreate Date
July 28, 2021Updated By
bwelch@stanhywet.orgUpdate Date
May 19, 2025