Name/Title
Four men with car/winch system at Wingfoot LakeEntry/Object ID
SHH 2001.429Description
Print developed from gelatin dry plate glass negative. Three men observe winch (device used to pull down balloon connected by cables) on muddy ground. Man at far left points directly at winch. Two men near center stand slightly bent over behind car looking at winch. Man seated in car in right side of image looks up toward sky. Men wear winter attire. Rear car wheels supported on wooden boards. Possibly at Wingfoot Lake in Suffield, Ohio. Buildings (possibly factory(?) buildings next to Wingfoot hangar) in background. Same men as in SHH 2001.428R, SHH 2001.430R. Series of winch and ballooning prints.Collection
PERMANENT COLLECTIONCataloged By
Martina TakacAcquisition
Accession
SHH-OriginalSource or Donor
Seiberling HeirsAcquisition Method
GiftMade/Created
Artist Information
Artist
Seiberling, Willard PenfieldRole
PhotographerDate made
1917 - 1921Notes
Medium: glass, silver gelatinDimensions
Height
3-1/4 inWidth
4-1/4 inGeneral Notes
Note
Legal Status: PERMANENT COLLECTION, 1967
Notes: Willard Penfield Seiberling (1892-1981) was an avid and amateur photographer who developed his photographic interest while attending Princeton University. The Darkroom at Stan Hywet Hall was added to the floorplan during construction for his use. Willard is credited with most of the early images of Stan Hywet. Willard's interest in aeronautics is exemplified by meeting Orville and Wilbur Wright after their first airplane flight at Kitty Hawk. Willard may have been the first passenger aboard the first Goodyear blimp. He also participated in national and international free balloon races in 1921. Willard was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921. Goodyear began its Aeronautics Department in 1910. In 1916, Goodyear purchased land in Suffield around Fritch's Lake. Wingfoot Lake hangar was constructed in 1917. WFL is the oldest airship base in the U.S. The facility was the training site of the first class of Navy airship pilots. From 1917 to 1921, WFL operated as a U.S. Naval Airship
Wingfoot Lake Airship Base was built in 1917. Willard Penfield Seiberling was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921.Created By
admin@catalogit.appCreate Date
July 28, 2021Updated By
bwelch@stanhywet.orgUpdate Date
May 19, 2025