Willard Seiberling inside of Wingfoot Lake hangar

Name/Title

Willard Seiberling inside of Wingfoot Lake hangar

Entry/Object ID

SHH 2001.467

Description

Print developed from gelatin dry plate glass negative. Willard Penfield Seiberling inside of Wingfoot Lake hangar wearing parachute harness. Willard wears dark colored hat with ear covers and dark colored button down sweater indicating cold temperatures at time picture was taken. Comet shaped effect in lower left quadrant of image, possibly debris with shadow or movement streak.

Photograph Details

Subject Person or Organization

Seiberling, Willard Penfield

Subject Place

Location

Goodyear Airdock, USA: Ohio, Suffield, Wingfoot Lake

Collection

PERMANENT COLLECTION

Cataloged By

Steven Kreitz

Acquisition

Accession

SHH-Original

Source or Donor

Seiberling Heirs

Acquisition Method

Gift

Made/Created

Artist Information

Artist

Seiberling, Willard Penfield

Role

Photographer

Date made

1917 - 1921

Notes

Medium: glass, silver gelatin

Other Names and Numbers

Other Numbers

Number Type

Negative Number

Other Number

N-1742

Number Type

Other Number

Other Number

SHH 2001.467R

Dimensions

Height

4-1/4 in

Width

3-1/4 in

General Notes

Note

Willard Penfield Seiberling (1892-1981) was an avid and amateur photographer who developed his photographic interest while attending Princeton University. The Darkroom at Stan Hywet Hall was added to the floorplan during construction for his use. Willard is credited with most of the early images of Stan Hywet. Willard's interest in aeronautics is exemplified by meeting Orville and Wilbur Wright after their first airplane flight at Kitty Hawk. Willard may have been the first passenger aboard the first Goodyear blimp. He also participated in national and international free balloon races in 1921. Willard was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921. Goodyear began its Aeronautics Department in 1910. In 1916, Goodyear purchased land in Suffield around Fritch's Lake. Wingfoot Lake hangar was constructed in 1917. WFL is the oldest airship base in the U.S. The facility was the training site of the first class of Navy airship pilots. From 1917 to 1921, WFL operated as a U.S. Naval Airship. Wingfoot Lake Airship Base was built in 1917. Willard Penfield Seiberling was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921. Working Print ( "R" suffix) and Negative made Oct 2000.

Created By

admin@catalogit.app

Create Date

July 28, 2021

Updated By

bwelch@stanhywet.org

Update Date

May 19, 2025