Name/Title
Four men in airfieldEntry/Object ID
SHH 2001.480Description
Print developed from gelatin dry plate glass negative. Four unidentified men in airfield, three of which stand by instrument on tripod. From left to right: Man stands behind instrument on tripod wearing dark colored hat, round glasses, and long dark colored coat with gloves. Man in middle wears light colored hat and long coat with dark colored boots. Man on right, with cigar, wears dark colored hat with brim, long dark colored coat with gloves, and holds pad of paper. In front of men near instrument on tripod ropes extend upward beyond visible portion of picture. In immediate foreground on right weighted bags are collected on ground. In background man in all dark colored clothing stands looking towards sky. Snow covered ground and trees without leaves line background.Photograph Details
Subject Place
Location
Goodyear Airdock, USA: Ohio, Suffield, Wingfoot LakeCollection
PERMANENT COLLECTIONCataloged By
Steven KreitzAcquisition
Accession
SHH-OriginalSource or Donor
Seiberling HeirsAcquisition Method
GiftMade/Created
Artist Information
Artist
Seiberling, Willard PenfieldRole
PhotographerDate made
1917 - 1921Notes
Medium: glass, silver gelatinOther Names and Numbers
Other Numbers
Number Type
Negative NumberOther Number
N-1755Number Type
Other NumberOther Number
SHH 2001.480RDimensions
Height
3-1/4 inWidth
4-1/4 inGeneral Notes
Note
Willard Penfield Seiberling (1892-1981) was an avid and amateur photographer who developed his photographic interest while attending Princeton University. The Dark Room at Stan Hywet Hall was added to the floorplan during construction for his use. Willard is credited with most of the early images of Stan Hywet. Willard's interest in aeronautics is exemplified by meeting Orville and Wilbur Wright after their first airplane flight at Kitty Hawk. Willard may have been the first passenger aboard the first Goodyear blimp. He also participated in national and international free balloon races in 1921. Willard was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921. Goodyear began its Aeronautics Department in 1910. In 1916, Goodyear purchased land in Suffield around Fritch's Lake. Wingfoot Lake hangar was constructed in 1917. WFL is the oldest airship base in the U.S. The facility was the training site of the first class of Navy airship pilots. From 1917 to 1921, WFL operated as a U.S. Naval Airship.
Wingfoot Lake Airship Base was built in 1917. Willard Penfield Seiberling was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921.Created By
admin@catalogit.appCreate Date
July 28, 2021Updated By
bwelch@stanhywet.orgUpdate Date
May 19, 2025