Name/Title
Wingfoot hangar's interior from rear of gondolaEntry/Object ID
SHH 2001.518Description
Print developed from gelatin dry plate glass negative. View of Wingfoot hangar's interior from rear of gondola (foreground). Portion of dirigible and rudder visible near top center. American flag, right of rudder, attached by cable to gondola and dirigible. Two free balloons (center) inside hangar. Two men stand near center middle ground. Seven consecutive windows along side of hangar and an opened back door in left middle ground. Two consecutive windows in back of hangar in right middle ground. Man walks below window closest to ladders in far right middle ground. Series of Wingfoot Lake prints.Photograph Details
Subject Place
Location
Goodyear Airdock, USA: Ohio, Suffield, Wingfoot LakeCollection
PERMANENT COLLECTIONCataloged By
Martina TakacAcquisition
Accession
SHH-OriginalSource or Donor
Seiberling HeirsAcquisition Method
GiftMade/Created
Artist Information
Artist
Seiberling, Willard PenfieldRole
PhotographerDate made
1917 - 1921Notes
Medium: glass, silver gelatinOther Names and Numbers
Other Numbers
Number Type
Negative NumberOther Number
N-1771Number Type
Other NumberOther Number
SHH 2001.518RDimensions
Height
8 inWidth
10 inHeight
3-1/4 inWidth
4-1/4 inGeneral Notes
Note
Willard Penfield Seiberling (1892-1981) was an avid and amateur photographer who developed his photographic interest while attending Princeton University. The Dark Room at Stan Hywet Hall was added to the floorplan during construction for his use. Willard is credited with most of the early images of Stan Hywet. Willard's interest in aeronautics is exemplified by meeting Orville and Wilbur Wright after their first airplane flight at Kitty Hawk. Willard may have been the first passenger aboard the first Goodyear blimp. He also participated in national and international free balloon races in 1921. Willard was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921. Goodyear began its Aeronautics Department in 1910. In 1916, Goodyear purchased land in Suffield around Fritch's Lake. Wingfoot Lake hangar was constructed in 1917. WFL is the oldest airship base in the U.S. The facility was the training site of the first class of Navy airship pilots. From 1917 to 1921, WFL operated as a U.S. Naval Airship.
Wingfoot Lake Airship Base was built in 1917. Willard Penfield Seiberling was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921.Created By
admin@catalogit.appCreate Date
July 28, 2021Updated By
bwelch@stanhywet.orgUpdate Date
May 19, 2025