Three men deflate an observation balloon

Name/Title

Three men deflate an observation balloon

Entry/Object ID

SHH 2001.528

Description

Print developed from gelatin dry plate glass negative. Three men deflate an observation balloon. From left to right: Man crouches with right side to camera wearing light colored hat and dark colored suit; Man bent over on knees with left side to camera wears dark colored hat, dark colored round glasses and dark colored coat; on right of image man wearing dark colored hat and coat stands with left side to camera. All three men are on a light colored balloon envelope, which is bubbled up in background of image. Round distortions in the image occur around the man farthest left. Tree in left back ground does not have leaves on it. Most likely the balloon in this image is the same as in images SHH 2001. 526R-.529R.

Photograph Details

Subject Place

Location

Goodyear Airdock, USA: Ohio, Suffield, Wingfoot Lake

Collection

PERMANENT COLLECTION

Cataloged By

Steven Kreitz

Acquisition

Accession

SHH-Original

Source or Donor

Seiberling Heirs

Acquisition Method

Gift

Made/Created

Artist Information

Artist

Seiberling, Willard Penfield

Role

Photographer

Date made

1917 - 1921

Notes

Medium: glass, silver gelatin

Other Names and Numbers

Other Numbers

Number Type

Negative Number

Other Number

N-1781

Number Type

Other Number

Other Number

SHH 2001.528R

Dimensions

Height

8 in

Width

10 in

Height

3-1/4 in

Width

4-1/4 in

Condition

Overall Condition

Poor

General Notes

Note

Willard Penfield Seiberling (1892-1981) was an avid and amateur photographer who developed his photographic interest while attending Princeton University. The Dark Room at Stan Hywet Hall was added to the floorplan during construction for his use. Willard is credited with most of the early images of Stan Hywet. Wingfoot Lake Airship Base was built in 1917. Willard Penfield Seiberling was manager of the Aeronautics Department of Goodyear from 1917 to 1921.

Created By

admin@catalogit.app

Create Date

July 28, 2021

Updated By

bwelch@stanhywet.org

Update Date

May 19, 2025