Name/Title
The Union Club's 125th Anniversary Commemorative Stained Glass Window Unveiling at Gala - April 28, 2005Entry/Object ID
2023.04.04Scope and Content
Photograph
This colour photograph (2005) by an unknown photographer with separate printed text documents The Union Club's 125th Anniversary Commemorative Stained Glass Window Unveiling held at the 125th Anniversary Gala event on April 28, 2005.Context
The photograph was taken at the Gala on the Main staircase of the Club at the unveiling of the Club's 125th Anniversary Commemorative Stained Glass Window, depicted at the top centre of the photo.
Dignitaries included the Honourable Iona Campagnolo CM, OBC, Lieutenant-Governor, B.C. (5th from left) and Alan Hodgson, Architect FRAIC who designed the commemorative window (centre panel of the tripartite window). The window was created and installed by renowned stained glass artists Thomas Mercer and Edward Schaefer of Mercer & Schaefer Glasstudios in Victoria.
Also included in the frame is a printed explanatory text providing a brief history and background of the stained glass, originally installed as one window when the Gordon Street Club building was built in 1912. Restoration of the window and its redesign/re-installation, with the addition of a new central panel, was completed in 2005.
____________________________
Founded in 1879, the Union Club is a landmark institution in the heart of downtown Victoria., B.C., whose members represent a legacy of leadership and who have been at the heart of the business, social and cultural life of Victoria and beyond from its early beginnings. The current Union Club building (third venue) was recognized as nationally significant in 1995 by the joint federal, provincial and territorial administered registry, Canada’s Historic Places. And in 2017, The Union Club of British Columbia was declared a National Historic Site by the Government of Canada. The Union Club, completed in 1913, earned the prestigious status for its important early history and outstanding architecture of Beaux-Arts Italian Renaissance Revival Style.
The Union Club building, has stood solidly since its completion in 1913. However, as a result of age and water damage the outside of the building had started to deteriorate. An extensive multi-year Building Remediation Project Plan was developed for the interior and exterior of the Club, and then implemented, 2012-2017. This remediation and restoration work on the Union Club received a number of awards.Archive Details
Creator
UnknownDate(s) of Creation
2005Archive Notes
Note: Duplicate hanging in main stairwellDimensions
Dimension Description
Visible photoHeight
34.3 cmWidth
20.3 cmCopyright
Notes
Images are provided for research and reference use only. Permission to publish, copy, or otherwise use these images must be obtained from the copyright holder. It is the sole responsibility of the applicant to determine the copyright holder and to obtain permission(s) as needed.